Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Cold.

I think I'm coming down with something. Maybe it's a sympathy cold. I took Jasper to the vet today because he has had a noticeably runny/sneezy nose for the past few days. They tell me that he has the beginnings of an upper respiratory infection. Sad face! So the wee lad goes on antibiotics for a week.

As stupid as it sounds (-Sighs and shakes head- You know this is going to be less than intelligent.) when my throat started getting a little scratchy this morning at work my first thought was that I caught Jasper's cold. Heck! If we can catch things from birds and swine, why not dogs?

I didn't need to worry however. According to Dr. Shelley Rankin, assistant professor of microbiology at the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine, "The virus that causes the common cold in humans is species-specific, which means you can't spread it to your dog or cat, nor can you get it from them." 


Whew. That takes a load off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment