Monday, March 7, 2011

New Direction?

Well, hu. I'm a little lost folks.

Most of you know that I've been looking into going back to school for massage. At the end of January I researched several programs and found one that fit my schedule and budget needs. The program was due to begin in early February but when the day of registration came and I called to check the time, I was told that the program director had gone to Japan to speak with the governing board about the program and that February's classes had been postponed until early March.

"Ok," I thought. "This is actually better. Now I will have time to accustom myself to the idea of going back to school."

Well, February passed in a blur with guests and the acquisition of Jasper and evidently March started a week ago. Late Friday night, I realized that the admissions people had said the program would resume in early March and that very easily could mean Monday. But no one had been in contact. So, did it?

Knowing that the offices would be closed all weekend I knew I was up a small creek because I worked Monday and wouldn't be able to call and check until at least 11:30 am, and the afternoon classes started at 12:30pm. That would leave me very little time to get home, showered, fed and out the door after work.

Well, today dawned and of course things ran late at work, but I made it home in enough time to feed, water and bathe myself before I took off to class. As I performed these tasks I continued to think about the whole situation, and found that I was feeling a little less enthusiastic about this particular program than I was at the start. I narrowed it down to two reasons:

  1. There seemed to be a huge lack of initiative on the part of the school to keep its applicants updated to program changes. (Very unprofessional indeed.)
  2. The thought of leaving Jasper home alone for so long each day made me feel more than a little neglectful.
These reasons made me decide NOT to go in today, but rather to call instead. I'm glad I did. What I discovered was this: The school is going through some serious changes and the recruiters don't really know what's going on. Evidently "Ye old Program Director" is STILL in Japan reviewing the program which may or may not begin in again in May, or perhaps June. Sometime this Summer. "But it looks like the tuition is going to be cheaper! A lot cheaper actually..." How compelling. 

Needless to say I'm not impressed, and cheaper tuition or no I will be looking for another program. Let the search begin again. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Good! I think you would be excellent at massage

    ReplyDelete