Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Things I shouldn't be doing at midnight

Midnight is a witching time for me.

I seem to come alive somewhere around 10:30 pm. That's when all of my creative and productive juices start to squeeze out of the fruits of my mind. I get urges to start art projects, run outside in the moonlight and tonight, apply for credit cards.

It's been on my list of things "To Do" for awhile. I've been putting it off because Dave Ramsey's face along with a giant pair of menacing scissors kept popping to mind every time I ventured onto a credit card site. I'd just like to take a moment to say "I'm debt free!!" because of Dave's magical debt snowball, but darn it! I'm will be traveling soon and I would like some cash-back rewards thank-you-very-much.

So there I was. At the end of my day. Feeling a little down because I didn't get all of the things on my list done when I thought, "Ah! What the hell? Let's look at the credit card options again and see what we find." So I looked at the two tabs I had open, because I assume they were the two options I was vacillating between and decided objectively on option 1, which was on tab 2. It was for people with "Excellent" credit.

Now I haven't had a credit card in awhile and as such I don't have the foggiest clue what my credit score is, but I thought I would flatter myself with an excellent one just for giggles. The worst that could happen would be rejection, and I figured I could handle that. So I filled out their form and played with artwork for awhile.  Did you know you can customize your card for free? I didn't and was therefore  delighted. Resisting the narcissistic urge to upload a duck faced image of myself I settled on a very sensible stock tree, but mirrored it so I could feel like I had some creative input in the process. I hit save and found myself back on the fill-in-the-blanks page. I scanned over my information once more, wincing as I passed over the "annual salary" and "current job" boxes. "They're going to rat me out for sure," I thought as my clicker unscrupulously checked the "Yes, I've read and agree with the terms and conditions... something about my unborn child... ya da ya da ya da" box. And suddenly I was on a page with a very polite thinking bar graph saying something about please waiting while authorization was processing.

"I should probably go to bed," I thought about 10 seconds in. "This will probably take..." and just like that, I had a credit card. I'm not entirely sure what I signed up for in the end, I'm just trusting that past Summer did her homework. We'll just have to see in 7-10 business days.

No comments:

Post a Comment