Thursday, November 18, 2010

SUPing

So I tried Stand Up Paddle boarding today and let me tell you, on a scale of 1-10: One being "Never going to do THAT again," and ten being, "Yeah, I just worked a 12 hour shift and it's 3 in the morning, but I could probably squeeze an hour in," I would go for eleven with an added hour of excitement.

Yesterday a few guys from work told me that they were going to go surfing today and I was welcome to come along if I wanted. I wanted. I went. It rocked.

Stand Up Paddle boarding is totally my cup of tea. Surfing, while no doubt very good for you and totally awesome once you get the knack of it, is painfully difficult to learn when you have arms of my caliber. SUPing, yes as lame as that sounds I'm going to use this acronym-suffix combination, plays more to my strengths: 1. Paddling 2. Balancing and 3. Standing up.

For a first timer I don't think I did too bad. My friend Colorado Nick took me out at first so I could get a feel for the board. We looked something like this:

Ok. That's a lie and we all know it. A more appropriate posture was something more akin to this:
 ...except I was sitting, not standing on the front, and I was wearing a top. And I wasn't a man. Anyway you get the idea. 

After paddling around for awhile we rowed, pardon, paddled back to shore and dropped him off while I went out da solo. It was suh-weeeet! I totally caught a wave and rode it a good distance before biting it. I saw a turtle, I didn't get sunburned despite the fact that I wasn't wearing sunscreen, and I am properly sore now from paddling! All in all it was a fantastic first go-round. 

1 comment:

  1. That is FANTASTIC! Uuuhhhhh I'm totally not wishing that I were you right now .... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete