Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Catch phrase

I was playing "Know me fast" Sunday morning with some new friends when this question came up. "What is your favorite catch phrase or slogan?" I had to think about it for awhile and when I answered I still hadn't come up with anything pithy or clever. Not being able to deliver on command always gets my goat because I like being clever. Kind of like I like being fed. If a decision ever had to be made between food and cleverness, cleverness would most certainly win out. At least for a day or two.

A clever person is someone whose whit is on par with their knowledge or intelligence insofar as all of those variables are high. There are of course individuals whose whit and intelligence are equal but very low, and they are not clever. (Or if they are it is oftentimes by accident or somewhat tragic.) But I digress. Let's get back to the original question of favorite catch phrases or slogans.

There are so many of them out there that entire volumes have been dedicated to recording and explaining them. Many stem from popular T.V. shows or movies, while others have withstood the test of time in the form of idioms and maxims. In the quest to find the one I like the best I have read hundreds with varying degrees of cleverness and originality. For funzies I resurrected many phrases out of the 90's because I thought a trip down memory lane would be fun. Here is a sampling in no particular order:

"The wisdom of nations lies in their proverbs, which are brief and pithy." -William Penn

"The secret of many a man's success in the world resides in his insight into the moods of men and his tact in dealing with them." - J.G. Holland

(Those by definition were not catch phrases but I liked them so I put them in. My blog. My rules. Now we shall move on to our nation's "wisdom." Heaven help us.)

"It's going to be legen- wait for it and I hope you're not lactose intolerant because the second half of that word is -dairy! Legendary!"

"Six of one, half dozen of the other."

"The early bird catches the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

"I'll be back."

"That was easy."

"But my lips hurt real bad!"

"Can you hear me now?"

"Psych!"

"No duh!"

"No doi!"

"Oh snap!"

"What up?!"

"High five!"

"Right on!"

"That was sick!"

"Bite me."

"Wicked."

"Wicked awesome."

"Shut down!"

"Cool beans!"

"No way!"

"Gosh!" (Said like Napoleon Dynamite)

"Totally."

"What the what?!"

"Suh weeeet!"

"It's all good."

"Da bomb."

"That's Phat!"

"Peace out."

"Chill." (Or "Take a chill pill.")

"My bad."

"...not!"

"You go girl!"

"Playa!"

"Happy happy, joy joy"

"As if!"

"Fail."

"...just saying."

"Meh."

So what's my favorite? A phrase I just can't get enough of? That always makes me laugh inside  and makes even the most mundane situations better and that also negates any clever bone in my body?

"That's what she said."

No comments:

Post a Comment