Friday, October 25, 2013

Thursday, October 24- The A & P Show

I love the fair. The booths, the animals, the smells, everything. Today Parker and I made it into Hastings for the Agriculture and P-something fair. It was flippin' rad. There was dressage, wood chopping, a petting zoo and whisks that could froth milk into microfoam in seconds. Thankfully I had an excuse to say no to the fine merchants in the Expo center otherwise I would have been traveling from now on with 2 kick ass whisks. 

Evidently wood chopping is a competitive sport down here! We spent about an hour watching things getting prepared for events that lasted seconds. We saw the double handed saw, underhand chopping that made your toes curl, and the standard chop. The professionals in the double handed saw screamed through logs in under 10 seconds, and the experienced men in the underhand were in their 70s. You couldn't help but cheer. :-) This is a shot from the underhand round. 
It's truly impressive how slow the horses go in their approach to these obstacles. It's as if their just mozying around, see something that's taller than them, shrug and say, "Hell. Why not?" I would just walk around, but hey. To each their own. 

Mum, thanks for preparing me for this.  My head nearly exploded when I saw them. For how they do this, pick up a dictionary and flip to the word, "magic."
This guy rocked my world for obvious reasons. 

And that was the show! I also got to see dog trials, where I stood on the sidelines chanting "Baa, ram, ewe!" and met an old man and his wife who invite me to come stay with them if I came down south. Gosh I love this country. :-)



1 comment:

  1. Do they feed the chicks dyed water? Is it safe for them? Your goslings look amazing and adorable. Will they count as carry ons? You should totally stay with the old southies. Where do they live! Go Aoteoroa!

    ReplyDelete