Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Casualties

It seems to me that when people get puppies they complain about them tearing up shoes, socks, underwear, furniture, or their favorite (insert item here). While Jasper has shredded more than his share of toilet paper and training pads he really hasn't been terribly destructive when it comes to personal items. That was until a few days ago.

It was Sunday morning and I had an early shift at the coffee shop. Michael was sound asleep (as most people are at 5 in the morning on a Sunday) when he heard a colossal crash come from inside the bathroom. He pulled himself out of bed and stumbled to the bathroom to find that Jasper, no doubt fascinated by my dangling necklaces, had pulled my jewelry tree off the counter and sent it crashing to the floor sending my bangles flying hither and yon.

When the mess had been cleaned up Michael went about the process of trying to match up earrings. One set had been completely demolished, and several others were missing their mates. When I came home later and surveyed the damage I found that Jasper had really only been responsible for ruining two sets and that the other singular earrings had been that way for awhile.

"Now where have their matches gone?" I wondered. There has to be a place for wayward earrings like there is for socks who visit the dryer. I don't know how it happens, but it always seems to. You have a pair of earrings that you just love and then one day one of them goes missing, never to be seen or heard from again. And then the question arrises, what do you do with its mate? Do you keep it in hopes that one day the other will turn up? (Which never happens) Do you keep it in memory of what you once had? Do you try and make one that would work as a stand in? I think someone needs to come up with some clever ideas on things we can do with single earrings.

3 comments:

  1. You can use them as pin/broaches or stick them into hair pieces.
    Decorate your bag/purse with them, snip off the stem and glue them onto cards/wall hangings.
    Incorporate it into a ring/necklace... I"m sure there's more

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Heidi! That's a lot of ideas. I have used the studs as a way to secure my scarves. I like the snipping off of the stem. maybe you could remake them into a necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo! Me gusta! Good ideas all around!

    ReplyDelete