Saturday, August 28, 2010

The wall

Here is my current project. In a nut shell, Michael's classroom had a giant white wall that needed "something." We brainstormed and decided on making three arched windows that looked out onto scenes of (insert something inspiring here). We don't have an artist to paint said scenes yet, but we had to start somewhere so I took on the project of "THE WALL." Since I'm not feeling particularly chatty tonight (this may change by the end of our time together), I'm just going to explain each phase in brief.

PHASE ONE: Taping

In my great wisdom I thought that it would be a great idea to tape all of the mortar rather than having to paint new mortar in. I can't say exactly which one would have been faster now that I've done it, but it took A LONG TIME to finish this phase alone.

PHASE ONE POINT FIVE: Forming arches

I enlisted the captain to draw the bottom of the arc, and then I went about taping it up and drawing in the new bricks, both behind and within the arch. This is what the wall looked like when all the taping was complete.



PHASE TWO: Painting

As you can see, this wall is quite large(roughly 32' x 11.5'), and boy does it suck paint! This was what I accomplished before school started.

PHASE THREE: Painting (2nd installment)

On Sunday, I finished up the side segments and then started painting the arches with a medium/large artist's brush. I got tuckered out standing on the ladder and twisting to reach the wall so they didn't get completely finished but I will complete them this Sunday. Here's what did make the cut.



So, there it is. On Sunday I will finish up the arch and a half and maybe, just maybe, I will start pulling of the tape. I had thought to texture all the bricks but now that I look at it, I don't know if I need to. We'll see.

1 comment: