Monday, February 9, 2009

Faces of the Music Part 3


"I spent 40 years of my life as a psychologist working in New York," said Chuck Eaton, who has driven from Richland for the past three years to play bass trombone in the symphony. "I enjoyed it," he said with a smile, "but 40 years is enough." Now that he is retired he gets to spend his time immersed in music. "Not everyone gets a second chance. I'm lucky because now I get to do what I love."Eaton is a feisty 71 years-old and though he took a break from his instrument for a number of years he has played since he was 10. "I looked into playing in the TriCities Orchestra but they already had three bass trombonists. I came to the Walla Walla Symphony because they needed one." Although he loved New York, Eaton said that he likes it here as well. "There is a definite pace to life in New York, and it doesn't work as well for older people. It's just easy to live here!" When he is not practicing with the WWSO Chuck spends his time playing in a Jazz band.

Barbra "Barb" Lubbes has played tympani in the symphony for 23 years because, she says with a grin, "It's dramatic!"

No comments:

Post a Comment